Wow, I can’t believe that we are only a few days away from kissing 2011 goodbye and welcoming in 2012. Is it just me, or did this year fly by? Well, as I take time to prepare for the new year, I also take the time to sit down and review the goals that I set for myself and do a fair assessment of everything. This year, I had a very different approach to my goals. Instead of setting lofty New Year’s Resolutions, I decided to set one large overall goal for myself and then break it down into smaller quarterly goals that would ultimately lead to supporting and reaching my BIG ONE.
Every quarter, I would sit down and reflect on the past few months and see how well I did. I asked myself the following questions:
- Did you achieve your quarterly goal?
- If no, what were the reasons that I didn’t achieve it – this isn’t time for me to give myself excuses to be honest. One of my answers was, I just didn’t feel like making it a priority, instead of blaming it on my busy travel schedule.
- What did I enjoy the most in working towards this goal?
- What did I enjoy the least in working towards this goal?
- How could i improve?
- What would I have done differently, if I could go back?
Having that awareness and clarity when it comes to my goals, helped me to move forward, but more importantly, it also allowed me to take some to celebrate and pat myself on the back for any of the goals, if not all, that I achieved in that quarter.
As we move into 2012, take time to set goals for yourself, but more importantly, set goals that will allow you to be successful. Breaking up large goals into smaller goals will make it easier for you achieve them, but also allow you to track your progress and take a moment to celebrate the small victories.
Enjoy the final days in 2011 and happy Goal Setting!