Well, I am home from an amazing 7 days at sea on the Mariner of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. As much as I was looking forward to 7 days to disconnect and to enjoy myself, I was also a bit nervous of how I would maintain my vow of clean eating 10 meals a week and abandoning my Insanity workout regimen. Yes, I wanted to have a good time and enjoy myself, but I also didn’t want to undo the progress I had made for the first 3 weeks of the year.
Here is how I actually lost 2 pounds on a trip where food and alcohol was available 24 hours a day!
- Breakfast: I aimed to pack my breakfasts with high protein, lots of fiber, and fruits. I stayed away from pastries and breads, and focused on hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, plain yogurt(yes, because it’s lower in sugar and has more protein), whole wheat/whole grain toast, oatmeal with cinnamon & almonds, and muesli. It kept me full up until lunch and I wasn’t tempted by the snack cafe that I had to pass EVERYTIME i needed to get to my stateroom.
- Lunch: I aimed to have a salad with my lunches and pack it with lean protein if I went to the buffet area and only used balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I stayed away from breads, desserts, and creamy soups as well.
- Afternoon Snack: If I did find myself getting hungry while on the boat, I would grab 3 mini ham & swiss croissant sandwiches and I would eat the filling of the sandwich and eliminate the bread. The protein and the saltiness satisfied me pretty well.
- Dinner: I was more lenient with dinner, I aimed to add an appetizer that was vegetable based or a shrimp cocktail or small salad. For my main entree, I choose meals that came with steamed veggies and tried to avoid pastas or creamy sauces. (One night I did have lasagna 🙂 ) I also allowed myself a glass of wine if I felt like it and I was very picky about my desserts. I asked myself, “is this really worth the empty calories?” Some nights the answer was yes, some nights it was no.
- Exercise: I went to the gym twice while on the boat and did 90 minutes of cardio and strength training. One of the days we spent painting a house inside and out, that was a workout in itself. But almost every night we made our way to the Dragon’s Liar (the dance club on the ship) and danced the night away (literally). I opted to refrain from alcohol (which would make me hungry later in the night) and stuck to water to stay hydrated.
- Drinks: I stuck with wine with dinner (not every night) and had a few cocktails while on the trip, but I stuck to one per sitting and avoided sodas (which are an extra fee anyway) and stuck to drinking water and decaf coffee with milk (unsweetened).
The moral of the story is, you can still fully enjoy yourself on vacation and still maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don’t feel like I missed out on anything and the added bonus was that I lost 2 pounds and felt great when I put on my bikini during the trip!