I had a friend who reached out to me, because she is struggling trying to eat healthy while at work. I can remember when I was working in Corporate America and between back to back meetings, office birthdays, potlucks and happy hours, coupled with sitting for hours at end glued to the computer and my desk, made it hard for me to eat healthy. I had a “grab and go” diet while at work and usually I was grabbing fast food, processed foods, or something from the vending machine. (No wonder I felt groggy and sleepy during the day!) But here are some tips that I shared with my friend to help her out:
- Make a Shake or Smoothie for breakfast. This is super simple to make and takes a few minutes to prepare, plus you can make it and drink it on your way to work. I drink Shakeology, because it’s a complete nutrition shake that keeps me full until lunch and gives me tons of energy.
- Create a Healthy Snack Drawer: Keep your desk or office stocked with Nuts, Dried Fruit, Whole Grain crackers, and a jar of peanut butter. Keep it at arms length, so you can easily and quickly eat a healthy snack
- Bring an insulated lunch bag filled with healthy food. For non-perishable foods like Greek Yogurt, Cheese Sticks, Hummus, and fruit, you can keep them cold by using an insulated bag and keep it at your desk.
- Pack your lunch. This sounds pretty simple, but not only will it prevent you from running out to the nearest fast food place or vending machine for a lunch. If you pack it, you eat it. That’s my rule. Even if you pack a lunch only 3 times a week, you could save yourself a few hundred calories and a few bucks. Pack a sandwich or a wrap or even left overs from a healthy meal that you made (wink wink) or a salad.
- Set a timer every few hours. Sometimes you can get so busy at work that you forget to eat or drink water. To keep your metabolism up, you should be eating every few hours and drinking tons of water. Set an alarm on your phone every 2 – 3 hours to remind you to eat something healthy and drink 8oz of water.
Hopefully, these tips will help you to stay on track with your healthy eating while at work. Do you have any other questions that I can help you with? Just comment below and I’ll do my best! If you need additional help, I’m here to help!