Over the past few days, I’ve heard a few of my challengers mention that they are not as motivated this time of year to stick with their workouts and their healthy eating. I can totally understand, as the temperature is dropping which means wanting to spend more time inside, eating comfort food, drinking hot cocoa and forgoing workouts for holiday movies on the couch. Not to mention, adding in the holiday parties, cookie exchanges, gingerbread lattes at Starbucks, and potlucks at work, the desire to workout and eat healthy is pretty much minimal. I can relate, but I also know that if you lose your motivation now…it will be much harder to reach your goals for the beginning of the year.
Here are some tips and tricks I use to help keep me motivated:
- Write out your goals: There is something magical that happens when you take the time to write down your goals. It requires you to really think about them and visualize them. Once you write them down, make sure that you review them daily. To make this happen, post your goals in places where you will see them throughout the day. I have them on my iPhone, posted on a notecard in the bathroom on my mirror, and on my desk in my home office.
- Create a Vision Board: I love vision boards, because it allows you to truly visualize and see what you will accomplish. Get a piece of poster board and a bunch of magazines (especially travel, business, fashion, and fitness ones) and look for photos, images, and words that resonate with you and depict what you will accomplish. Just like your goals, post your board somewhere you will see it. I keep mine next to my mirror in my bathroom and scan the images and words while I’m brushing my teeth each morning. I also have it as my screen saver on my computer and the lock screen on my iPad.
- Choose a Reward: When you set a goal, also set a reward for reaching that goal. For example, if one of your goals is to run a 9 minute mile, once you hit 9 minutes, reward yourself with a new pair of running shoes. Make it a reward that you will really enjoy, something that you will want to work hard for.
- Share your goals with others: When you tell others about your goals and ask them to help you stay accountable, you will be surprised at how well you progress. Why? Because, accountability is one of the best ways to stay on track. This is why I love my monthly accountability groups to help everyone stay focused and motivated. If you need to join one, let me know, as I have one starting on January 6th.
- Be patient: Many times we set goals that will take time, especially when it comes to weight loss. We set unattainable expectations and deadlines and when we don’t reach them, we feel like we have failed. This is never the case and you have to be patient and flexible with your goals. Life happens and there will be times that you will have to forgive yourself and adjust. The key is to keep moving forward…no matter what!
Hopefully, these tips will help to get you out of your motivation slump and put you back on track to reaching your goals! If you need more help with setting or reaching your goals, comment below and let’s chat!
Remember, YOU CAN DO THIS!