Happy New Year! As we start off a new year (that I must say I am super excited about), many people have taken the time to write down their goals for year or commit (or recommit) themselves to certain things in their life. Health and fitness goals/resolutions are among the top areas that people want to focus on in the new year. Which is totally understandable, coming off of a season packed with holiday snacks, meals, and treats and cold weather that makes you want to do anything but exercise. But nonetheless, it is a new year and I commend anyone who decides to star the year off with improved health and fitness.
However, most people don’t realize their goals or resolutions to be healthier, lose weight, drink more water, eat more veggies, or anything else, because we soon lose motivation and the desire to pursue those things. Why? Because, let’s be honest, they come with a pretty big sacrifice – cutting out your daily Starbucks, waking up an hour earlier to workout, skipping your favorite meals, and so on. The reality is that your desire to do these things dwindle because you have not truly committed to your motivation and your true reason WHY! The other day I had a good friend of mine contact me saying that he wanted to join one of my upcoming challenges because he got a health wake up call that really scared him. His reason for joining my challenge to lose weight and get healthy, just became real to him. He realized that his life would be in jeopardy if he didn’t make some changes. His WHY was now solid, personal and urgent.
I encourage you to take some time and really think about WHY you want to lose weight. Is it just because it is something that you always say? Really think your reasons why you want to get healthy. Here are some of the WHYs that I heard from a few of my new fitness challengers:
- I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and love the person looking back at me.
- I’m tired of feeling undesirable to my husband. I want to have more passion back in our marriage and even when he tells me I’m beautiful I don’t believe him, because of the way I look.
- I want to be able to run around the yard with my grandkids. They always want to play with me, but because of my weight I feel like my heart is going to burst after about 3 minutes of playing with them.
- I don’t want to have the same fate as my father, aunt, and grandmother – all three died of poor health.
- I just want to feel happy, confident and sexy again! My divorce really threw me for a loop and it’s been a long time since I did something that made me feel good about myself. I’m ready!
If you are finding it hard to stay connected, think about your WHY and make that be your motivating factor to push through. If you need help with staying accountable, I am here to help you in any way that I can. So don’t hesitate to reach out to me!