One of my favorite things about the summer is Caprese Salads. Each summer I buy a basil plant and I eat from it throughout the summer, which normally involves a Caprese Salad at least 2 times a week. Another weekly staple is Avocado, so I thought, why not combine two of my Summer Staples to create a healthy, tasty, and Meatless Monday friendly meal.
- 1 Container of Cherry Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp of Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Container of Fresh Mozzerella Balls, chopped
- 2 Avocados, diced and save the skins to serve as bowls
- Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt, Pepper, & Italian Seasoning
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, pepper, mozzarella, shallots and basil into a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic to your liking
- Add salt, pepper, and italian seasoning to your liking
- Mix all together and store in a bowl for about 30 minutes
- When you are ready to serve, dice up the avocados and add to the caprese mixture and mix together. Don’t forget to save the skins for the bowls.
- Scoop a few spoonfuls of the caprese mixture into the avocado skins
- Top with a bit more of salt and pepper and a final drizzle of balsamic vinegar
I served mine with toast points, but will also go great with quinoa, cous cous, brown rice or even with a handful of mixed greens and grilled chicken.