I remember growing up and seeing all of the commercials of women in active gear eating “Light” and “Fat Free” yogurt, claiming it was a big part of their “diet” and plan to lose weight. In my teens, I started to follow suit and eat all types of yogurts that were artificially sweetened and flavored to taste like pies, cakes, and chocolate mousses, with the same hopes of being skinny and thin. Unfortunately, those yogurts tend to be full of tons of preservatives, chemicals, and other additives that aren’t the best for the body and truth be told, do not provide much nutritional value to help create a healthy body.
Now, I love making my own yogurt cups for an easy grab and go breakfast, snack or dessert. I add this to my weekly Meal Prep time and because it’s so simple, you can mix it up and never get bored.
Here’s my basic recipe:
- Choose your fruit(s) of choice. I like using fresh berries, but also frozen fruits work well, because as they thaw out, they release juices that provide more flavor.
- Sweeten with a 1/2 teaspoon of pure maple syrup, agave nectar or honey.
- Top with Plain Greek Yogurt (you can add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla beans if you want more flavor. Another option is to mix in your favorite Vanilla Protein powder, sometimes I use Shakeology to give it a nutritional boost and make it more of a meal)
- I like to use a Mason Jar because it easy to fill, easy to store and easy to clean. Plus it looks cool 🙂
- Store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days, especially if you are using fresh fruit.
Here are some of my favorite ideas for flavors
- Fresh Strawberries with Orange Zest
- Pineapples & Mangos
- Frozen Peaches and Frozen Blueberries
- Cinnamon Apples or Pears (Sauté an apple or a pear in one teaspoon of coconut oil and add cinnamon)
- Frozen Mixed Berries
Toppings – You can also add some additional toppings for more flavor:
- Homemade Granola
- Rolled Oats
- Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Coconut Flakes
- Flax or Chia Seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
The moral of the story is that the possibilities are endless and it’s a great way to save calories, save money and save yourself from eating yogurts filled with artificial flavors, sweeteners and chemicals. Your body will thank you!