Last week, I went to Vegas with a few instructors and members of one of the studios where I teach – Dogpatch Dance & Yoga in San Francisco. While we had a great time, I definitely was off track with my nutrition. The main culprit was that I was off my normal sleep, workout, and eating schedule, which threw me off, coupled with the lack of fresh fruits and veggies and eating at random times of the night, including a 5AM post club meal of Fried Chicken and Waffles! Now that I am back home, I am going to use this week to get back on track with my nutrition, sleep, and fitness.
Here is my plan of action, I’ll make sure to share my results with you at the end of the week:
- Hydration: Vegas in June is pretty hot and dry and even though I didn’t drink alcohol while I was on vacation, I didn’t drink enough water.
- Start each day with a glass of water upon waking up is a great way to wake up the body and rev up the digestive system to facilitate a smoother detoxification process.
- Drinking at least half my body weight (in ounces) of water is vital on all levels and should be a non-negotiable for everyone. But if you are working out, make sure to add 16 – 24 additional ounces to your daily total.
- Nutrient Dense Breakfast: Breakfast is such a vital meal and most of us take that for granted and either skip it completely or eat a breakfast high in fat and sugar. Each morning, I’ll be drinking Shakeology, which is a nutrient dense vegan meal replacement shake that is more like a super potent multi-vitamin & probiotic packed with superfoods, super greens, adaptogens, and more. This not only gives me fuel, but the daily dose of dense nutrition helps moves things right along and puts the proper things into my body.
- Simple Lunch & Dinner: I’m not trying to be super fancy this week with my meals, I’m eliminating chicken, red meat and pork and will focus on eating a lot of fish, fruits, and veggies for most of my meals. My meals will be:
- Kale Salads with Tuna, Beets, Hard Boiled Eggs, and Cabbage for lunch
- Thai Curry Lentils & Spinach with Brown Rice, Garlic & Herb Salmon with Sauteed Garlic Green Beans and Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Grilled Fish Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa & Black Beans and rice for dinner
- Green Smoothies for my Afternoon Snack: I love drinking Green Smoothies in the afternoon, because I typically crave something sweet and by packing a smoothie with fresh kale and some frozen fruit, it feels like treat but also helps with adding more detox friendly ingredients to my daily intake. Here’s my recipe.
- Special Attention to the Body: I’ll be doing Shaun T’s “Shaun Week” Fitness Challenge this week, which is sure to be a perfect addition to my nutrition plan, as I’ll be able to break a sweat and help to get rid of those Vegas toxins. I’ll also add in some yoga with Beachbody OnDemand’s Yoga Studio program. (If you want information on how to access this for free, comment below).
- Rest: One of the most important parts of this week is ensuring that my body gets caught up on its rest (although I slept for 16 hours when I returned). Our bodies use rest to help heal, reset, refresh, and recover and if we deprive our bodies of rest, the body can’t function the way it needs to. Plus, it has been shown that sleep deprivation is a big factor in weight gain. So I’ll be aiming for 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Self Love: With a detox, it’s so easy to look at it as a punishment. We focus on what we are missing out on and make a big deal out of it. Instead, I am simply using this as a way to honor and respect my body. I don’t regret anything from my time in vegas and if I had to go back, I would probably have done the same thing, except eaten more macaroons! So, now that I’m back home, I am simply focusing on how lucky I am to be able to eat nourishing, healthy and fresh foods, excited to try Shaun T’s “Shaun Week” workouts, and to take time to rest and recover from one of the best Vegas trips to date!
If you want to keep up to date with how this week goes, make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and/or Snapchat!